Monday, October 8, 2012

No hay un camino...no hoy...

Perdio...por ahora...

   For the last few years I have been adamantly following politics in the totalitarian state that is Venezuela. 14 years ago, the Venezuelan people elected Hugo Chavez Frias, and since then, he has lead the country deeper into the chaos that it is today. If you value your life, you would not walk the streets of Caracas, Venezuela because of violence. Under Hugo Chavez, Venezuela has become one of the most dangerous countries in the western hemisphere. Widespread blackouts plague both urban and rural areas, and there are constant shortages of basic staple foods. The state run oil company, PDVSA, which is managed by all chavistas, constantly pollute the rivers with oil spills that leave locals without clean water for weeks.

     Now I'm not saying I know everything about Venezuela, because I don't. What I just wrote is a gist of the things I know about Venezuela from my point of view. As a conservative American, I find the state that Venezuela is in to be deplorable to say the least. Every time I sit down to read my blogroll, and tidbits of EL UNIVERSAL, Ultimas Noticias, La Patilla, and El Nacional, I come into the sobering reality that the official news of everyday Venezuela is a far cry from what I read in my blogroll. A basic freedom that I admit taking for granted daily...freedom of expression. Granted nobody wants to sit down everyday and read depressing news about how someone got killed, or that unemployment is high. Maybe that is why they never post about these topics...they happen every hour of every day. There is no way to keep up with this kind of stuff...nor does the government want you to.

About 3 years ago, I met my friend Daniel via internet. (Not the Daniel in my blogroll) Daniel was reluctant to talk about his country and how bad things were there. Even though I couldn't probe information out of him, he did tell me there is plenty out there on the internet to learn. It was easy to see why he wouldn't tell me much about his country. There is so much to say, but no need to say it. To live in what I described to you is depressing. Its the elephant that is constantly in the room, and there is no sure way to get rid of it. Daniel and his family spend a lot of time-- as much time as their money controlled by CADIVI would allow them-- outside of Venezuela. Its understandable. Even though Daniel has told me I am welcome to come and visit...I remain hesitant to go because of what might happen.

I awoke early Sunday morning to wish Daniel and his family (who I have also become friends with since then) good luck in the election. Even though Venezuela is not my country, I wanted things to get better for them. I basically was hoping for a miracle just like all the Capriles supporters out there. But the reality of it was that even though the opposition in Venezuela has come a long way, they have not come far enough. They for years had lost the trust of the people, and despite Capriles valiant effort to regain it, it just wasn't enough. I have more respect today for Capriles because of what he has done for the Venezuelan people. The country may very well still be divided, but the opposition is more united today than they have ever been. Maybe in the future they will make the changes needed to gain the trust of Venezuela's poorest. Maybe Chavez will die of cancer and Venezuela will have to make a decision much sooner. Regardless if you decide to leave or remain, I pray that Venezuelans do not lose hope, and do not give up fighting for your better future.

Speaking with Daniel and his family, I can understand the despair they feel. The feeling that they are being sucked into a hole that they never wanted any part in digging. They will not know what a true democracy is yet again, thanks to Chavismo. It is more unfortunate that they have to suffer from their country's problems even though they didn't vote for it to be this way. My sympathies rest with them tonight.  I was looking forward to those in my Blogroll writing about the progress that was going to be made, to see them write about change. Things will change now. Nothing new will happen with Chavismo, and after 14 years, I'm positive that they have become weary of writing about Chavez' shit.  I could sit here for hours and reflect on what could have been, but there is no need. Venezuela is a fine example of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Electing the same man over and over, and expecting something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep comments relevant to the post. Anything else will be deleted. Trolls will be deleted. Occasional clever put downs might be accepted. Read the first rule again.